The month of October has brought us a number of crucifixes for restoration. Here I am posting just a couple of examples which were adapted to our clients needs.
This example had been stained with a brown paint, to give the figure some definition. When we removed the corpus for treatment, it revealed that the brown staining had "soiled" the wood beneath it. This meant that the staining had been applied while the corpus was still attached to the cross.
This staining had to be removed from both the corpus and the wood of the cross before further work could be done.The
The religious sisters wanted the corpus to have a more realistic appearance, so as to aid their contemplation of Christ's wounds.
The question of how real is too real is very much a personal and cultural matter, especially in the application of painted wounds and their bloodiness.
In addition to moving the spear wound to the right hand side, I added more grazing to the knees and added the shoulder wound for the sisters.
The INRI plaque was also repaired and repainted and the wooden cross bar stabilised; this is something that often works loose with time, and can be a cause of damage to the figure itself if not corrected.
I applied the skin tones in several layers, which gives it a more realistic appearance. Because the navel of the torso was neither here not there - it needed some re-modelling to add to the sense of realism. A small detail perhaps, but worth the effort I think.
My next post shows a crucifix restored for a school, with a slightly different approach to colours.
Liturgical artist/restorer. Bachelor of Art and Design, Catholic Blogger
Catholic statue repair & church artworks by Lewis and Lewis: If sharing our information with others, please always include the following text:
" (c) Lewis and Lewis 2017 - www.jlewisstatues.co.uk "
No permissions given for commercial useage:
all images and information remain property of Jeanette Lewis.
See Website Terms & Conditions.